Mid and Final term discussion

Titolo: Update - 1: Auction phases

Titolo: Update - 1: Auction phases

by ANDREA LISI -
Number of replies: 4

Dear all,

since evaluating periods measured as number of blocks does not work well in test environments such as Remix, for sake of simplicity and for the final term purposes it may be enough to use debug functions to switch between periods.

For example, the Vickrey auction has 4 (+1) phases:

1. Initial Grace period
  2. Commitment phase
  3. Withdrawal phase
  4. Opening phase
  5. (Termination/finalization phase)

You may use one, or more, function(s) to switch between these periods and not use the number of blocks as time constraint.

Hope this will simplify the testing. If someone already did with the blocks, he/she can keep such solution.

Andrea

In reply to ANDREA LISI

Re: Titolo: Update - 1: Auction phases

by DAVIDE ITALO SERRAMAZZA -

thank you a lot!  I have only one little doubt? Is it okay to use the block number in the english auction? From the final term announcement "At the end, when a sufficient number of blocks passes with no new bids, the auction should stop accepting new bids and wait for the finalize() function"

In reply to DAVIDE ITALO SERRAMAZZA

by ANDREA LISI -

It is still a bit hard to simulate.
no new bids -> no new blocks (in local environments such as Remix). Therefore it is not possible to count to 1,2,3...

You may trigger dummy functions just to increment the block counter, but I think use a debug function such as closeAuction() (or finalize() itself) is enough for the purposes of the final term.

The post should to tell how to simplify the assignment in enviroments such as Remix which block counter stays still.
I do not know if it is possible to find an option to increment the block counter every T seconds...

In reply to ANDREA LISI

by RICCARDO MANETTI -

Good! 

Just to be sure, if we use one or more functions to pass from a phase to the next, the input parameters that indicate the length of each phase as number of block are not more necessary?

Thanks for the attention.

In reply to RICCARDO MANETTI

by ANDREA LISI -

Hi, sorry for the late!

I do not think they are mandatory, but if such parameters help your implementation somehow then I think it's ok.

In my opinion, being such functions "exam oriented", block periods can be good for "completion" of the auction as "metadata", and in the report you can exaplain it.

I hope I explained myself. If not, please tell me!