Forum for discussion of mid, final term and final project

Doubt Final Project Epidemic Protocols

Doubt Final Project Epidemic Protocols

by MARCO DEGL' INNOCENTI DETTO LUCCHESI -
Number of replies: 7

HI, 

which are the algorithms to generate a  network with grid topology?
Thanks

In reply to MARCO DEGL' INNOCENTI DETTO LUCCHESI

Re: Doubt Final Project Epidemic Protocols

by Laura Ricci -

The project requires to define a centralized simulation, i.e. a centralized coordinator which initializes a data structure containing the descriptors of the peers belonging to the network. In this scenario, you can simply pair each peer with a point in a predefined 2-dimensional space. Then, if the coordinate of a peer are (x,y), connect it to its four neighbors located at (x+1,y) (x-1,y) (x,y+1) (x,y-1), to generate the initial topology. The algorithm should be straightforward, because of the centralized control.

In reply to Laura Ricci

Another doubt, about the generation of scale free network i think we have to use Barabrasi-Albert algorithm, but it require as first step to have a random network. In which way we can generate this initial network? Thanks

by Laura Ricci -

If you need to generate a random network, you can exploit the procedure presented in the lesson of 16/3/2018. Again, it is not complex to implement this procedure, given that you are required to simulate the P2P network in a centralized simulator.

In reply to Laura Ricci

I have some other questions about the Newscast Prootcol: 

1)for the simulation of the Newscast Prootcol we have to implement only SelectPeer() e UpdateState() or also selectToSend(), sendTo(), receiveFrom(), 
etc...?

2)we can use the central coordinator to simulate sequentially the calling of selectPeer and UpdateState or we have to implement the active and passive thread like slide 42 of 18-05-18-Gossip.pdf lesson?

3) at the start of the  Newscast Prootcol all timestamp of each peer of each view have the same initial value?

4)we need a param indicating number of iteration of the protocol? if yes, the current timestamp into each iteration is the same for each node processed by the protocol?

Thanks

by Laura Ricci -

1) If you implement Newscast, as required by the project, you need not implement selectToSend, because each peer exchanges its own view with the selected neighbor.  sendTo() and ReceiveFrom() will be simulated by the central coordinator (no message is actually exchanged).

2) This is up to you. The central coordinator may simulate the behavior of each peer with 2 or more threads, but this can also be avoided if you want to keep things simple.

3) YES, even if in a distributed system it is very difficult to maintain clocks synchronized.

4) I do not see the need for this param, but it is possible it is useful in your implementation. In any case, yes, you can do the simplifying assumption that the timestamp is the same for each node.

In reply to Laura Ricci

About this part "Evaluate the following properties of the overlay generated by the protocol: 

• Average length of the shortest paths. • Average clustering coefficient. • Average node degree. • Connectivity. evaluate if the overlay is connected and if it is not connected, how many clusters are present in the overlay." we can use the network analyzer of cytoscape to retrive these data?

Thanks

by DAVIDE RUCCI -

I personally think yes, and I am actually using it.