Forum for discussion of mid, final term and final project

[Epidemic] Cache when creating scale-free network

[Epidemic] Cache when creating scale-free network

by DAVIDE RUCCI -
Number of replies: 2

When we create a scale-free network for the Newscast simulation, do we have to create it keeping into account the dimension of the nodes' caches? I think yes, but if we do we run the risk that the parameters would not allow the creation of the network. One case is if we ask to connect each new node (during preferential attachment) to more nodes than the capacity of the cache (but this is easy to check and to deny). But what if, for example, we start with a very dense random graph and we cannot connect the new nodes with enough neighbours because all of them have their caches full? 

I know this very unlikely to happen, but I wanted to ask just in case. Personally I think that we can just avoid these parameters.

In reply to DAVIDE RUCCI

Re: [Epidemic] Cache when creating scale-free network

by ANTONIO SISBARRA -

Also for me the best solution is to avoid taking into account the size of the cache during the construction of the Scale Free Network. Also because we would have the risk of not building a real Scale Free network, which is characterized by few nodes with a high number of neighbors.

In reply to ANTONIO SISBARRA

Re: [Epidemic] Cache when creating scale-free network

by MARCO DEGL' INNOCENTI DETTO LUCCHESI -

The problem of doing this is: after the construction of the Scale Free Network if some nodes have more edges than the cache size what you do? How do you remove edges?

Furthermore, to build a Scale Free Network using Barbarasi-Albert algorithm when you have to add nodes to the random graph, you have to choose m where m is the number of edge to create for each node you add, so you can limit it to the cache size if it's greater (i have done like this).