Mid and Final term discussion

Vickery Auction some question

Vickery Auction some question

by RUGGIERO SANTO -
Number of replies: 3
Good afternoon

• If the winning bet was made by two different users what happens? How do I determine the winner?
  • Is there a particular way to choose the amount of the deposit? percentage of the starting price something similar?

Thank you in advance
Ruggiero Santo

In reply to RUGGIERO SANTO

Re: Vickery Auction some question

by ANDREA LISI -

Hey

• As stated here (Quora), you need to define a tie-breaking rule. An answer suggests who submitted the bid first;
  • I imagine that the deposit should be defined by you, and maybe provide a clarification of your choice on the report. The deposit should be an amount high enough to discourage people from "cheating" (i.e. not open their envelope/bid in favour to someone else: in this case they do not receive their deposit back). You can imagine a couple of use cases where the deposit is higher / lower than the reserve price and evaluate which case is better: if none of them is a "better" one, choose a case and justify the pros/cons.
In reply to RUGGIERO SANTO

by ANDREA BONGIORNO -

Hi,

I have another question about this kind of auction.

What happens if at the opening phase we find out that the bid is less than the reserve price? I've found 2 options:

1. Nothing, the bidder will receive a complete refund, just like every losing bid.
  2. Treat this case as bad behaviour, refund the bid but only half of the deposit.

Since there is no specification in the assignment I assume that one of the above can be correct but I'm asking to be sure of this.

In reply to ANDREA BONGIORNO

by ANDREA LISI -

Hi,

Exactly, being no specification, I think there is no "correct" way to do.
I think that as long as you justify your choice it's good anyone.