Mid and Final term discussion

Periods measured as time of block

Periods measured as time of block

by DAVIDE ITALO SERRAMAZZA -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,

As discussed yesterday with Professor RIcci and Andrea Lisi, i have a doubt regarding the periods's time length. In the documentation is said: "This period is measured as the number of blocks corresponding to ∼ 5 min". My issue is that in remix only translations triggered by me contribute to the block number's increment

For instance this means that if i considering the average time to mine a block ∼ 10 second, i have the number of block corresponding to 5 minutes equals to 30, and in order to have 30 block mined, either i have a huge number of bidder or the bidders do some not useful transactions.

What is the right way to proceed?

In reply to DAVIDE ITALO SERRAMAZZA

Re: Periods measured as time of block

by ANDREA BONGIORNO -

Hi! 

I had the same problem and found two alternatives:

1.  Using Remix IDE deploy several "usless" auction contract, with the sole purpose of making time pass;
  2. Use truffle + ganache, following the slides of the course and the documentation (this solution require more time but it is "cleaner").

These are only my ideas, do not assume they are correct!

In reply to DAVIDE ITALO SERRAMAZZA

by ANDREA LISI -

Thank you to arise this issue!

I will discuss about it with the professor (unfortunately, yesterday I could not) and we will see how to change it.

Andrea's answers are ok, but it will be annoying to do like this every time a person would like to test the contracts.

I suggest to ignore the grace period at the moment and focus on the logic of the auctions (to not lose time).

Sorry for the trouble!

In reply to ANDREA LISI

by MATTEO FRANCESCHI -
Could it work to add some "debug" function that permits to change the phase we are in?

And perhaps check in which environment the contract is deployed to make them activable or not

In reply to MATTEO FRANCESCHI

by ANDREA LISI -

In an another thread we were discussing about let the auctioneer to switch between phases, so I guess it was what's you are talking about.

Sorry, I don't get the second sentence D: