Matlab license updated
See https://elearning.di.unipi.it/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1230 for information on how to update the license file and continue using Matlab with the university's license in 2017.
Tuesday 9:00 - 11:00 room L1
Tuesday 16:00 - 18:00 room H
Wednesday 11:00 - 13:00 room C
Thursday 11:00 - 13:00 room C
Room 323, Tel. 050 2212756, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Room 343, Tel. 050 2213143, e-mail: email@example.com
Office hours (during the course): Monday 14:00-16:00
Dr. Stefano Massei (SNS) will hold 8 additional exercise sessions containing a review of the course prerequisites (calculus, linear algebra and numerical analysis). They are held on Wednesday at 14:00 in room A1. They are meant to ensure that everyone is familiar with the same background material irrespective of their bachelor studies. These lectures do not contain material included in the exam syllabus, and they can be skipped if you are already familiar with these topics from your past courses.
TextbooksFor the optimization part:
- S. Boyd, L. Vandenberghe, Convex optimization, Cambridge University Press, 2004
- M.S. Bazaraa, H.D. Sherali, C.M. Shetty, Nonlinear programming: theory and algorithms, Wiley & Sons, 2006 (Chapters 1-6, 8-9)
- J. Nocedal, S. Wright, Numerical Optimization, Springer Series in Operations Research and Financial Engineering, 2006 (Chapters 1-3, 5, 12, 16, 17)
- A.R. Conn, K. Scheinberg, L.N. Vicente, Introduction to Derivative-Free Optimization, SIAM series on Optimization, 2009 (Chapters 1, 7)
For the numerical linear algebra part:
- J. Demmel, Applied Numerical Linear Algebra, SIAM press 1996
- L. N. Trefethen, D. Bau, Numerical Linear Algebra, SIAM press 1997 (alternative)
Slides and support files (optimization part)
Slides and support files (linear algebra part)
Lecture recordings (linear algebra part)
Theory lectures:The lectures held in Room C will appear online on http://mediateca.unipi.it/category/metodi-numerici-ed-ottimizzazione-2016/60. There is a delay of a few days because of post-production of the videos by the e-learning team.
The handwritten PDF files are uploaded on https://owncloud.dev.unipi.it/index.php/s/LVoYlumOV8cBEpL shortly after each lecture.
Lab lectures:Screencast are available on http://pages.di.unipi.it/fpoloni/files/nmo16/.
The computer lab activities will be performed using MATLAB. Students of the University of Pisa can install MATLAB free of charge with the university's license. Instructions on http://doc.sid.unipi.it/images/1/17/Istruzioni_Installazione_MatLab_Student.pdf (instructions in Italian only, sorry, but with lots of pictures).
Linear algebra part
Matlab files (optimization part)
Other study material